Monday, October 6, 2008

Religion Bashing

Calling religion ‘bullshit’ because of the actions of those who practice it is somewhat akin to denouncing democracy after taking one look at, for e.g. the Sri Lankan parliament. How many wars have been fought in the name of religion? Quite a few, yes. How many have been fought in the name of country and empire? Lots more. So why don’t we just abolish the existing world governance system and just stop believing it will work? Why don’t we let the world slip into anarchy and see where we end up?

We can’t do that. We won’t do that because in essence, we know, democracy is a good thing. Its fundamental concept, its basic idea, makes sense; The majority gets together and decides who should take care of the tedious job of ruling the land. That’s what it’s supposed to be. But factor in self centered power hungry individuals, vast legal infrastructure that is easily manipulated, unconcerned masses, and years and years of ‘doing the same thing’ and you get the melting pot of world politics that we still believe we can ‘fix’ without calling ‘democracy’ itself ‘stupid’.

We are living in a world where it’s cool to diss religion but for e.g. it is not cool to diss one’s right to an abortion. It is also not cool to diss the government, not very loudly at least, lest you get ‘white-vanned’, but it’s cool to turn a blind eye on hundreds upon hundreds of civilians being killed in the name of ‘fighting terror’. After all it’s the Americans and most of the Western world that are doing it, and they are not fighting in the name of religion are they? They are apparently, fighting in the name of democracy and sovereignty. Look at Vietnam, Iraq, Palestine/ Israel, Panama, Georgia etc. etc. etc the list is endless.

So does that mean we can call ‘democracy’ ‘stupid’? No I believe, and I believe that you believe it’s only certain practitioners of it that make it so and it would be extremely shallow and simply wrong to group everyone who advocates democracy (which includes us voters) and call them stupid too.

‘I’ve always said that God has been the leading cause of human death’ says fellow blogger Dinidu de Alwis. He, to put it simply, is plain wrong or has simply not thought out his statement properly. The leading cause of human death would obviously be natural causes. Hurricanes, tsunamis, earthquakes, old age, disease etc. through the ages of human history. Blame it on lack of technology or knowledge, but to blame it on God would mean accepting He exists, and for a self declared atheist that would be unthinkable.

But in case he was talking simply about conflict. And God being the cause of human death as a result if fuelling religious extremism, then I’d like to have a look at his statistics sheet. For like I said, enough wars have been fought in the name of empire building alone to dwarf any other type of conflict in the history of the human race. World War II/I, The Roman Empire building spree (before Constantinople), Colonialization/ Invasion and I can go on. Sure, religion would have been used as an excuse in certain cases, but to brand these cases under the label of ‘religious warfare’ would be quite erroneous.

The collective human psyche is a complex thing. Wars and conflicts start when people get carried away with generalizations and when reason gives way to fear and anger. War (and as a consequence; death) happens, in most cases, when people stop thinking straight and start becoming, for the lack of a more diplomatic term, ‘Stupid’.

14 Comments:

Dee said...

No wars were committed in the name of Buddhism. :) It's a path shown, and the choice to follow it or not. Even if you are a believer in God, you can still follow Buddhism as it's only a philosophy. A way of life. You won’t be condemned for believing or not believing in any of it. You are condemned only for your own actions.

So this talk about god..not god..blame god..love god..bores me.

Anonymous said...

Well God is really not the issue here is it? Its poeple using God to achieve their own ends. And others look at this and blame God for it. While instead they should be blaming the people. God doesnt kill people, its people who kill people.

Anonymous said...

buddhism may not have been intended to be a religion, but in SL people have turned it into a religion...I was born and raised as a buddhist but as i got older i got sickened by the people who were making me do it coz they were all hypocrites...dont think even they knew why they were following it...buddhism may have not caused wars yet...but its causing enough damage in sri lanka...it disgusts me to think that there are "buddhists" and "buddhist priests" doing shit like attacking other religious places and there are buddhist priests invloved in the parliment as we all know and they are just plain violent and angry...i mean they've attacked peace rallies....i dont know where in buddhism justifies that sort of behaviour...

Recently I was with some friends of mine chilling out with some greens...in my induced state of awareness my attention went to a buddhist sermon being played on a radio somewhere nearby and i got absorbed into what the speaker was saying...It was amazing...Such peaceful thoughts...its fucked up that there are people now using buddhism to justify their violence, saying SL should only be a land of Sinhalese buddhists...sad....There may be a few buddhists in this country that actually understand the philosophy....but buddhism as an organized union is Sri Lanka...in my opinion doesnt exist...it died the moment people turned it into just another religion and misused it

Anonymous said...

Totally agree with drifter.

I have seen with my own eyes, people being tortured in the name of sinhala-buddhism.

But I agree with you. Killing in the name of democracy is no better than killing in the name of religion. In fact, they've made democracy their religion!

Anonymous said...

fuck Dinidu and his pretentious know it all-ness -_-
dumbass

Religion can be the cause only if you let it
ANYTHING can be the cause
it's not as simple as that
there a lot of factors coming into play
the issue is fundementalists, literalists and extremists. Those are key words and can turn normal people into fucking murderers

.

Anonymous said...

as much as I love and honor George Carlin
I must say there's a difference between reality and comedy
these are things to laugh at
but you can't just point the finger so fucking ignorantly
-_-

I read your comment on his post and I have to agree with you
it's the System
The Machine.

Angel said...

Well said! It is always the people factor that causes distortion of what may essentially be a peaceful way of life/mindset/religion. Besides the generalisation in it self is laughable and not a firm foundation to a rational argument!

Gehan said...

i was gettin a lil annoyed at da religion talk on kottu.. thanks for a post tat makes some sense at least! da premise tat being agnostic is a sign of intelligence is rubbish.. apparently its more plausible to believe we are all here thanks to a 1 in 1 billion chance incident rather than by design...

da world is goin friggin mad!

Anonymous said...

Since Whack wanted a response, I thought of doing just that.
I don’t diss religion. I just point out that religion, faith in God, and practicing religion is a bit of a retarded concept. It’s different. And as I said, the US is fighting a war against a set of people who took arms for their God.
And yes, God is the leading cause of human death. I’ll obviously leave out things like natural disasters. But say for a person who believes that all these are acts of God (say, Christians), then it still adds onto the death toll, yes?
And responding to DeeCee, when you look at how the war is being fought here in SL, religion plays a pretty big role, now doesn’t it? JHU is supporting the war (which it shouldn’t be doing, because Buddhism promotes non-violence) to save the Sinhala Buddhist nation, no?

Oh, and thank you, St. Fallen.

uhu said...

Religion is not without its problems. Since religion is often perceived as a means of living in peace and harmony, when 'religion' causes conflict, it does feel oxymoronic, and perhaps worthy of comment.

Also, I think we need to be careful when we separate religion from people and speak of them as almost mutually exclusive entities, because they are not, are they? Religion, democracy, feminism, masculinity... what have you.. all exist in society as it is perceived by people and socially constructed.

I believe it is a lot less than ideal that religion has been used to justify violence, and my first response to anyone who highlights this would be to agree with him/her on how wrong it all is.

Having said that, it is very wrong to place the burden of all this on any one religion or god. It is also wrong to exaggerate on these issues. It is wrong, and frankly very ugly to do so. Without exaggeration, I know for a fact that Sinhalese Buddhists and some times Buddhist Monks in Sri Lanka have been burning churches in the villages and are even responsible for killing pastors - for more than twenty years now. If any one wants the fact and figures, I can tell you where to find them... photographs too. Isn't it a bit naive to talk about god being the cause of war, in a context such as this. It is also immature, and very unsophisticated to simply make religion or god a scapegoat for social evils.

Whackster, I really like the way you construct your argument by weaving through the analogy of democracy. I must admit, I was impressed!

Dee said...

well thanks for pointing out the obvious dini-dude.
JHU is just another party with views of their own. And some will and some will not agree with them. For example, “I” don't believe the war should be carried out to save a Sinhala bud country, that’s just ridiculous tosh. The government doesn’t uphold that stance either, so we’re cool.

U can think religion is a retarded concept- whatever, that’s fine. My personal belief is, is ur Buddhist, blame no one for what happens, no one’s going to help you except yourself.

If you believe in god, great. It'll make you a good person because you’ll refrain from bad things, you’ll appreciate life, and things like praying is a form of meditation, which in turn calms and improves the mind, which is the core Buddhist teaching.

Aio bored bored bored. DC Butting out.

TheWhacksteR said...

Dinidu

"I don’t diss religion. I just point out that religion, faith in God, and practicing religion is a bit of a retarded concept"

Retarded? Sound like a diss to ME. lol, so what would you consider to be a non-retarded concept on the more philosophical broader matters of life then?

"And yes, God is the leading cause of human death. I’ll obviously leave out things like natural disasters. But say for a person who believes that all these are acts of God (say, Christians), then it still adds onto the death toll, yes?"

That statement is a bit confusing since you dont believe in God in the first place yes? So what would YOU consider to be God related deaths?

Sach said...

The problem lies not in the religions, rather the way they are practiced, in turn meaning the people who practice them.

ALL the religions - if you take the core - intend to do good to the world. But we who practice in them want 'ours' to be better than 'theirs'.
That's why so many lives have lost in the name of religion, throughout the history of mankind.

Anonymous said...

Way to go Whackster! =)
And I agree with Anon as well!