Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Dependence Day

Inde-effing-pendence
Oh what a lovely feeling mate
To be free from the back benders
To be in control of your own fate

And as we come to the beginning
Of our most favorite day,
We find ourselves thinking
How am I independent today?

Am I free to fly?
Or do the laws of physics bind me?
Am I free to lie?
Or do the rules of ethics tie me?

Am I free to walk where I want
Am I free to say what I want in my independent land?
Am I free to hold in my hand
A single grain of Northern sand?

Am I free, head held high
To practice my faith under no disguise?
Am I free to tell you
That you are wrong and i am right?
                                                             
Am I free to walk alone
With a bulging wallet and my phone
Down the alleyways of Boralla
In the dead of night?
                                                               
Am I free from crime and terror?
Of screaming mothers and desperate fathers
Am I free from working kids
Trying to feed their dying grannies
                                                           
Is independence really freedom?
Have I just got it wrong?
Is independence just slavery
Under a different master's norm?

The whip is still strong
But the hand wielding it is a dark brown
And it shakes the reigns from an invisible cart
From dawn till dusk till dawn


24 Comments:

Gehan said...

whoa.. crap, dude, this is like ur best work...! well k i kno nothing of poetry, but still i absolutely loved this one...! :)

Makuluwo said...

Woah. AWEsome stuff, Whacko. :O
I might send this to a few others with due credit, if ya don't mind!

TheWhacksteR said...

hey thanks ppl :) though the whole thing is a bit deflating, yeah maku please, spread the germ by all means!

Mr.Pitbull said...

Very Well Written mate Good Stuff :)
Let us all hope for some Peace for our country soon!

~Peace~

Anonymous said...

cool

Anonymous said...

niiiice... the way ye've portrayed it, got me going "Oh Hell YEAH"... ye got me opening other doors in me mind... Nice stuff... truly felt.. *double thumbs up

Anonymous said...

A very good and thoughtful poem.

I decided long ago that 'independence' like 'freedom' and 'democracy' are myths, part of the whole ideological swindle we are conned into generation after generation, esp. is you are an American. The way out of it is to realize how INTERdependent we humans all are.

Every thought what would happen if the garbage people stopped picking up the garbarge? The grocer stopped selling his groceries? The farmer didn't exist to produce crops? The list is endless... So, interdependence is the fabric of existence. Ahmen.

Anonymous said...

Good stuff man. Wonder when those questions will be really answered.

Jerry said...

Well some of those freedoms are restricted due to others practicing THEIR freedom. Freedom in the most pure sense of it can only be achieved if you're the only person alive, neh? If that's the case.

Great post though. And like gehan, I no like poetry neither.

Charm Bracelet said...

hehe well said whackster. Truth be told, we're more a bound nation than we ever were before. thumbs up!

TheWhacksteR said...

disease - Thanks man. yes lets hope for it!

Indi - glad you liked it man

Nikang - thanks :)

Annon - thank you and true that. but the garbage collector collects the garbage because he HAS no other choice, we are interdependant true, but that is through compulsion and not through camaraderie or anything like that. But yes it is what makes us go on right now isnt it

Goddess - thanks, who knows, maybe never.

Jerry - Great post? *re-reads it to make sure jerry commented on the right thing* :D

Yeah but even if you're the only chap alive, you'll still have to obey the laws of nature. Eat cetain animals, avoid certain parts of the jungle etceterah

Mayanthi - i guess being bound is the way of life around here, and by around here i mean the planet. Thanks:)

myprerogative said...

ado awesome stuff!! full of meaning....

Just Me said...

By far, your best. Breathtakingly awesome!

:D

HUGS!

Anonymous said...

superb machan..really kewl one!

ado i think i saw u in galle.. were u there? u (or someone who looks like u) was going in a tuk tuk at abt 5.45 on lighthouse street, wearing black i think.. was that u? i was just walking down on the road

noorie said...

i miss you so much.

Paparé Boy said...

Well said, dude.

Azrael said...

Nice One :)

Anonymous said...

It's just means that we are no longer under British control...

That's got nothing to do freedom within SL... The government (that the majority voted into power) depriving us of democracy isn't the same thing... We're an independent country, not independent people... =P

Anonymous said...

Nice poem. What's the photo of?

TheWhacksteR said...

MP - thanks man!

Celestial - Thanks! XXOO

Unsilent - hmmm could have been my jiggy (Ashok Ferry, dont ask) lol but i WAS in the fort, lighthouse street i think, around 5.30, tuk tuk yes, but i was wearing WHITE! hmmm...looks like i had a close brush with Mr. DopplewhacksteR.

Noorie - likewise, where ARE you?

Papare Boy + Azrael - thank you kindly dudes.

Messiah - Hmmm so we areindependent as a country to enslave ouselves eh. :P

Anon - Its a pic taken after the '83 incidents. shows some homelss people i think. Just searched it off google.

tash said...

nice... I like :) :)

Anonymous said...

Dude, I loved this! It would be great to hear you reading it out at this bi-weekly thing some friends are organising. Will get in touch.

TheWhacksteR said...

Tash - glad you liked it!

Ravana - haha sure dude i'd be honored :D glad you liked it

Anonymous said...

dude open mic at barefoot tonight (thursday) are you goooing? please say yes so I can tag along :D
pretty please? :P