Wednesday, August 20, 2008

F*CKIN’ CHARLIE!

How many times has anyone you know, or it could be you, been suddenly confronted by one of those moments warranting a swear word and chosen ‘F*ckin’ Charlie!’ to vent?

I mean WTF? I’ve said it lots of times myself. My boss says ‘My Charlie’ in an effort to just sound nicer. Last year I met with a car accident and the only thing that came to my mouth was a muttered ‘f*ckin Charlie’ right before the windscreen smashed in. and no, in case you’re worried all I suffered was a miraculous little cut on my finger. Now I will not blaspheme and would kindly request you to refrain from suggesting that Charlie is a God, and that implying sexual intercourse is the way of invoking his protection. Because we all know that’s impossible, I mean you don’t see any temples dedicated to him anywhere do you? Er, do you?

Who is this Charlie? Are we (Sri Lankans) the only ones who use this term? Then why Charlie? Why not Siripala (the subjet of so many sinhalese swear expressions such as Ammatasiri etc.)? Anthropologist, linguist, or not, these questions need answers damit!

10 Comments:

Foxhound said...

Bloody Charlie!

No seriously... I haven't heard that expression before.

I've been in a few countries abroad... and I haven't heard it in any of those countries either... strange. So it would seem like its only the gool ol SLK!

Dili said...

xD Thats one to go with how US people call Avocado's "Alligator Pears"

Anonymous said...

I've heard of and often use "fuck george"... lol i though that was a common term!

Anonymous said...

I've never heard that before but now that I have, I love it.

"Fuckin' Charlie"

Hahaha, hilarious. Maybe if you're invoking Charlie's protection, you may very well be one of his angels....?

noorie said...

i've heard of "farmer george"!
neighbour/best friend used to go to sbc.....
it was a hip thing then!


must start working of fucking siripala!!!!!!

Scrumps said...

I've never heard the term "fuckin' Charlie" thought like 69 said, it's great! I wish I could help you answer your questions but I'm a bit lame like that!

pissu perera said...

never heard of it before. all i've heard is "fucking hell".

ps - lol at noorie. "must start working of fucking siripala" <--- that pun was hilarious (assuming it was a pun)

Dee said...

coz siripala is just not cool. :O saw my vid? :) gettin some real good "traitor" threats on youtube...la la la! :P

TheWhacksteR said...

How about just 'F*ckin Siri'? has a bit more of a ring to it.. but i've heard it a gazilion times (the charlie version that is). i shall continue my mission to uncover its origins or my real name is not TheWhacksteR! will keep you posted. peace!

Anonymous said...

I guess it is derived from FUCK = Fly Uncle Charlie's Kite .....