Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Importance of being Earnest

I have decided to sit down again and I have decided to write. Writing something, anything, tends to release all the pent up frustration within me and put it all on the piece of paper, or the computer screen in front of me. It comes to pass that inevitably there will be the question that will arise in your minds asking whether if it is writing alone that releases my emotion or writing with the knowledge that someone will at least read it, or writing with the knowledge that there exists a chance of someone reading it?

This question, as far as my urge to write is concerned, seems somewhat relevant. Because I have contemplated it myself. And at this point I feel a doubt as to whether this particular piece of writing is going to be published. But I will keep on writing nevertheless because that was a decision I made somewhere around the time when I put finger to keyboard.

Having just taken a few seconds to check my phone because I just received a phantom SMS, that is to say an SMS that wasn’t an SMS at all, I am back to writing. It was just one of those times where you imagined received a text message and stopped what you were doing to check your phone only to find that you haven’t.

I just received an actual SMS. Sometimes I think that our generation has encountered some form of telepathy or mind power of some sort. Because on some occasions I am extremely confident that I just knew that I was getting an SMS or a call and picked up my phone just a micro second or so before it rang, or beeped. Perhaps we can feel the oncoming radiation on our skins. Who knows? Maybe I’m a mind freak like Chris Angel. I will soon release my video where I will predict all the phone calls in the city of Colombo to the closes t second, two weeks in advance. I am confident that I can develop my powers sufficiently in order to accomplish this feat. I shall start practicing now.

Now I have been interrupted for a long period of time so let me get back to the original point of this piece of writing. I have already decided to publish it and I suppose I had decided it at the inception itself although maybe I did not know it for sure. But that is besides the point. The point is, well in search of the original point I just had a look at the top of the page but I could not find one. Other than of course the entire point of this piece of writing was to do just that; write.

So I wrote and managed to write a few hundred pages of things that do not particularly have much meaning in terms of anything as a matter of fact. I say that because practically anything tends to have a meaning in terms of something. But back to my original question, which was the question that I thought could have a reasonable chance of arising (along with; ‘what kind of stupid fool would write something like this?’) upon reading the first passage of this piece was whether writing is effective in terms of reducing mental friction when it is purely just writing or writing that is published? I don’t know because I am done writing for now. Maybe I shall do it next time I feel like aimless writing.

Being earnest by the way, for some reason that escapes the power of perception that I am entrusted with at the moment, is somehow very important.

0 Comments: