Monday, July 21, 2008

A somewhat murky and disconnected analysis

I have always been somewhat of an outsider when it comes to the existing social norms. My recent fully fledged excursion into the Sri Lankan blogosphere has proved to me nothing less. Kottu seems to be a melting pot of some very diverse thinkers. People who are not afraid to be radical, people who are not afraid to pose tough questions and people who are sometimes downright rude. But it’s all good; it’s all pretty refreshing after being immersed in a world of fakery and smiles, covering up stabbing of rear ends and talking behind the same. It is nice to get upfront and personal and in your face biatch! Now and then.

But in my objective look at the bloggodrome around me I have come to observe and form some early opinions of the creatures that are known as bloggers. Especially the community at Kottu. We are a homely bunch I feel. Feeding off each other’s misery, happiness, greed, ambition etc. I know in my limited time and vision I am not in a position to judge - I will do so anyway, and you will be more than welcome to correct me - but it is a community in itself. It has its mavericks, its conformists, its radicals, its geeks, jocks and so on and so forth. Some are pretentious; more than a few. I guess all human beings have a natural tendency to be pretentious. Including yours truly. I don’t know. But what is refreshing is the amount of people completely being themselves. Individuals actually putting in an effort to break their fears of losing social approval and simply lash out at the world with everything they’ve got. Revealing all, holding back nothing.

The blogger I feel, at least the one who writes bent more on a personal note; one like me for example. Is a somewhat self obsessed, somewhat gloomy character. Pondering on the aspects of life that are usually exempt from general everyday conversation, the blogger feels a need to release. And to be heard and responded to. The blogger needs to vent sometimes, he needs attention. But that is nothing abnormal, we all need attention sometimes. Sniff sniff; (.

This community, I feel, is a community of outsiders. But that is nothing abnormal, I think deep inside everyone is an outsider. Because no one is a carbon copy of everybody else. Therefore a part of you is similar while a part of you is different to the collective human psyche. So it must be the case that at some time there happens to be a person who prefers to exult in his difference to the whole, rather than in his similarity to it. Perhaps to the people in this community, or those of you who I am intrigued by; blogging is a way to revel in your outsiderness (if such a word exists).

Well to put an end to this rather gloomy post, The Whackster would like to reiterate that this was just a random rant and no empirical analyses and experiments were conducted in its production. Thoughts flew out based upon concrete observations and demanded to be documented because they were naively self-important. Any lab rats and animal testing was strictly confined to the realms of his mind and no living being was harmed in producing it. And to those of you extreme individuals whose blogs I so enjoy reading; keep writing so I can keep reading. I have hunted and failed for a method to bring this post around to a point where I could finish it off with a sly witticism perhaps, followed by an exclamation mark, but the mood will not allow it. It is pleasantly melancholy. So now, I shall stop.

5 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice observation :) I'm new to Kottu as well but am seeing the various 'characters' that you write about in my daily readings as well.

Gonna hop along to have a rumble through your posts!

realskullzero said...

hmm interesting..well on a blogger note( as another outsider) i ve gotta say ask the same..keep writing so I can keep reading!!

realskullzero said...

hmm interesting..well on a blogger note( as another outsider) i ve gotta say ask the same..keep writing so I can keep reading!!

Foxhound said...

That's the thing about being online... it's only our minds that are here, everything else is irrelevant.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see ur analysis on the local blogsphere.. :) You too keep writing the good stuff. for us to read :)