Thursday, April 2, 2009

Racism, Social Divides and Broken English

Am i idling? Now that is a strange question, for what is idling? is it doing nothing? but if it is doing nothing then you're technically still doing something, so you not doing nothing. So I’m not idling. That’s good, cos if i was idling i'd have to start feeling a little guilty.

The question of racism in Sri Lanka is an interesting one. There are the utopians who believe that racial prejudice is dead, i was one of them not so long ago and there are those who firmly belive that nothing has changed since the 80s.

Mahinda Rajapakse was a supporter of the nationalist uprising of the 80s, he is also a Southerner and relied heavily during the past years on the hardcore southern vote (a term from which you will deduce what you will). The voting scandal where the Tamils in the North and East were prevented from voting didn’t help his 'equality credentials' much either. But any underground agreement with the LTTE would have obviously backfired on the latter considering the current onslaught they are at the receiving end of, unless its all a cover up.

I am not calling Mahinda a racist, but i have doubts as to the integrity of the current philosophy of nationalism that is spread around, chiefly because of its slightly condescending and patronizing tone towards the minorities. And the strong Sinhalese tradition strain apparent in government war propaganda.

Question is, what are we doing really, to prevent the series of events that culminated in the war from happening again? Are we as a nation really looking at the social, legal, economical, political and other macro and micro environmental factors that contributed to the ethnic conflict that blasted into a full scale war in the mid eighties? Is there a think tank for this? a think tank that is taken seriously by the government and the people in power?

Is racism a symptom of inequality where the deprived masses turn upon the minority community closest to them in hate to channel the anger at being deprived of basic needs and opportunities (as pseudorandom said)? In which case political manipulation should be blamed for turning the people against each other. That wouldn’t be too surprising since the political class of SL has always been consistent of elitist wealth accumulators. That would also explain the total lack of effort at taking the racism issue seriously and the molly-coddling of the people's emotions.

Also, English, one word which speaks volumes. English is encouraged on the surface but nothing has ever been done to promote it in a big way, like promoting English as the language for all educational purposes etc. English knowledge will help bring the masses onto a global platform and get them out of the narrowed frame of mind they seem to be in. It will help them interact with a globalized world more easily and in short they will be more knowledgeable, savvy and aware for it. A common tongue will unite people from different backgrounds a little bit more due to the breakdown of the lingo barrier. It will also improve our competitiveness economically in a global scale. So why is this not happening?

One explanation is that we are a backward population and like to cling to traditions for as long as possible. A squirrel living in a tree for as long as it can, even after its been cut down and the wood is rotting. Another explanation is control. A knowledgeable and empowered people will mean a savvier voter base, which means that a few things will change in the political arena of the future. So maybe the power structure itself is resisting change?

Branding came up as a possible solution. But how much can branding and marketing alone do to promote change in beliefs (i.e. racial differences and prejudices) without some tangible change happening? Actions speak louder than words and branding and media promotions are mere words without action to evidence their validity.

So what do we do? I’m pretty much convinced that if we do nothing and this war does finish, another 'ethnic conflict' will not be too far away, mainly because the root causes have not been addressed and there is still seething anger amongst the people. So while doing nothing may still be doing something, it doesn’t help anyone, and ultimately all of us, who have a responsibility to ensure we do what we can, will be guilty.

22 Comments:

Sach said...

Good post Whacko.

Though I have to disagree with some things. Again, just like in your previous post about racism I think you have misunderstood one thing. That is the cause for the ongoing battle/war/racial conflict - whatever you want to call it. It was because back then Tamils were indeed deprived of some priviledges, and they were not treated like Sinhalese and also were not given opportunities they should have.

But now the things have changed. I'll speak about Muslims, since that is where you seems to be concentrated on. I also assume that you are a Muslim. Let me put it this way, what were you deprived of in your life for being a Muslim - by Sinhalese? I think not many. There was a good post by NB some time back (http://nibrasbawa.blogspot.com/2009/02/vip-muslims-and-majority-buddhist.html) which talks about priviledges Muslims enjoy in Sri Lanka. And I think that list is pretty accurate. So... I'd say they have do get a LOT of things, and discrimination is something practically does not exist.

On the other hand, yes I do agree with you about some comments you have mentioned even in your previous post. Yes being a Muslim you do sometimes get snide comments. When a Sinhala person calls a Muslim "Thambiya", that includes a lot of insults and hatred, I do get it. But hey, aren't we all racists, to a certain extent? Because, yes there may be some Sinhala only companies, businesses where Sinhalese have a monopoly. But it is the same with many businesses and places where Muslims have a monopoly. My point is, it goes both ways. We both despise each other, if not hate. But that is the human nature I guess. The important thing is, despite that we have been able to live in harmony for a very long time, and I do feel that it will be the case in the future as well. Nobody wants a shit fuck war again on this paradise...

Azrael said...

Good one. :)

True, fair and equal treatment to all is necessary to ensure that another war doesn’t crop up when this one ends. And imo, having a common language is a good place to start. The ideal would be to make future generations of all Sri Lankans to be able to work with all three languages fluently.

As for why this is not happening, I think it’s a combination of both your points. Some are reluctant to embrace new things and always try to cling to the old. Some still think that English is a bad remnant from the colonial era. I strongly believe that it is important to preserve our culture and traditions, but embracing new things doesn’t mean you have to give up them up. The key is to take things that provide growth, not destruction.

On the other hand, our politicians are, for no better words, fucked up, so I won’t even bother going into it. All are in it for personal gain. Maybe some do want to work for the people and for the development of the country, but others around them won’t let them. That’s just my opinion.

As Sachintha says, there’s a racist in all of us, it is how we act on it that matters. Some have a low tolerance and some high. It’s the minority with the low tolerance that acts out in hatred and causes all the problems. It’s up to the others to make sure that it doesn’t grow into a major problem.

I am still optimistic that things will get better :)

rajivmw said...

I'm not sure that this country doesn't take English seriously. The government may be uninterested and/or ineffectual. But I see English classes and 'international' schools advertised in every nook and cranny of this island. So there must surely be considerable demand.

I'm also not entirely sure that English is the passport to enlightenment that everyone seems to think it is. There is plenty of ignorance and racism among English-speakers.

Having said that, I do agree that knowing more than one language can improve a person in many ways. And English has many indisputable advantages over all others. So I'm all for everyone learning English.

However, it's going to take a fairly long time for a majority of Sri Lankans to become proficient in English. Maybe a generation or so. In the meantime, wouldn't it make sense for those of a liberal persuasion to expand the scope of knowledge and ideas available in the vernacular?

The marxists, nationalists, chauvinists and xenophobes haven't been waiting around for people to learn English. Nor, for that matter, have Christian fundamentalists. That's why they have all acquired such influence.

The unfortunate fact is that a majority of liberal English-speaking Sri Lankans, who have so much to contribute, confine their thoughts and opinions to their anglophone echo chambers. They tend to hold the local languages in utter contempt, unfit for civilized discourse, good only for servants and thugs.

And then they complain about the ignorance of the masses...

Dee said...

Teaching English to kids from B, C1, C2 families is quite uplifting. From my personal experience, Tamil parents seem to have this desperate need to teach their kids while the Sinhalese kids and parents are little more lax. But overall, the need is huge. My mum always says, you can live quite comfortably if you teach English in Sri Lanka. But I just don’t know why can’t they see that language causes half the issues in this country and why not use English like a link language? Sigh.

PseudoRandom said...

With regards to language...a lot of the larger government schools that were previously 'Sinhala medium only' have established an English medium stream. So I think to a certain extent, the government is trying. However, the teachers in the English stream studied in their vernacular and are not from families that speak English regularly, so their English is dismal...and that jeopardises the success of the system. It'll take a generation or so until the teachers themselves are proficient in English.

Azrael pointed out that some see English as a bad remnant from the colonial era. This is true not only for Sri Lanka (why is Calcutta supposed to be called Kolkata now?). I don't think Sri Lanka will go that far...we're a bit too laid back for that, even the most nationalistic amongst us! And have you noticed how when at a restaurant, if a (Sinhalese-speaking) waiter speaks to you in broken English and you reply in Sinhala, he seems to be offended? (I don't know if this happens with Tamil-speaking waiters too). I think most of us realise that fluency in English is a badge to be worn proudly...hence the scenario with English classes that rajivmw described.

As for the racism discussion...hopefully this weekend I'll have time to construct a post that properly reflects my opinion (rather than eating up your comment space :-) ). The aim is to speak a bit about the situation here as well, 'cos to a certain extent, I have more experience of the British scenario in the recent past than the situation in Sri Lanka!

Brian Barker said...

At least President Barack Obama wants everyone to learn a foreign language.

The British learn French, the Australians study Japanese and the Americans prefer Spanish. Yet this leaves Mandarin Chinese and Arabic out of the equation.

I think we need to move forward and teach a common neutral non-national language, in all countries, in all schools, worldwide!

Can ask you to look at http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8837438938991452670 and see a glimpse of Esperanto at http://www.lernu.net ?

Linguistically Fallen said...

"Official Language.

The Official Language of Sri Lanka shall be Sinhala.
[Tamil shall also be an official language.
English shall be the link language.
Parliament shall by law provide for the implementation of the provisions of this Chapter.] "

http://www.priu.gov.lk/Cons/1978Constitution/Chapter_04_Amd.html

the bit within square brackets come under the thirteenth amendment. what's interesting is the last point in that, also comes under the same amendment, which isn't really... getting through :P

at least English language as a link language, should be enforced.

The demand and supply of English is alright in Colombo and Kandy but not the whole of country, which is what's supposed to be important. I don't think the majority of Sri Lankans like the idea of English as a link language, or even understand its implications. That's what should be tackled first. Educating them on why it's important and how it can help them, though I'm not sure if farmers would really give a fuck :S

Two years back I spent a couple of months in a town in the East, Sammanthurai, and this random person wanted to befriend me because I spoke English so well. He understood, to some extent, what it meant to be able to speak the language. Less than an hour away from the town, at the villages, it's all tamil/sinhala, depending on the area. Not many understand it.

Why should they? Why bother themselves with something like language when they've got plenty of other things to worry about? "future of their kids", what fucking future would their kids have if their parents spent all their money on getting their kid an "English" education, and then lose a fuck load over that... and then the retard fucks it up... or something goes wrong. and yeah... you get my drift.

Who gives a fuck.
I remember hearing someone comment on my parents decision to put me in an international school, and not just that... even commenting on them putting me in stc... when I could've schooled at zahira(not sure about the spelling) college over there(the east). fucking morons.

But, it's their choice anyway. Ignorance is bliss.

TheWhacksteR said...

Sachintha - do you mean to say that Tamils are treated any different now? not superficially, i mean genuinely treated better than they used to be? and my post had nothing specifically to do with Muslims :D

And rural Muslims get ostracized a lot if we have to get into it. but Shachintha you are accepting the fact that there is inherent hate between the communities yet accept it as a part of 'human nature'. Defeatist much? i don’t get it. And what harmony man? How many racial conflicts have we had over the past few years alone?

Azrael - i agree with most of ur points. are you sure that low tolerance is with a minority? Maybe it fluctuates from time to time. Perhaps its determined by individual comfort levels?

Rajivmw - true, the market forces are doing a thing or two to help, but i don’t think it is enough. and your right any major implementation will take at least a generation to manifest in a fluent population. But a major policy step has to be taken no? seeing as we are not exactly living in a free market economy and all that?

On to your second point. This is exactly where i think English will help. by EMPOWERING the masses, not leaving them to be manipulated by political and other propaganda. The liberal class as you may say may confine their ideas, and sure maybe they need to be promoted in native tongues, but im thinking of the same masses learning English and having access to first hand intelligence of matters around them. Deciding for themselves etc. and maybe just English is not enough for that

TheWhacksteR said...

DeeCee - quite right. But English is meant to be a link language. Just that it’s probably not being used as one all that much

PseudoRandom - true, it has started to a certain extent and should be encouraged. i myself was fortunate enough to take advantage of it during my A levels.

As for the colonial bad mojo, that doesn’t seem to have stopped India from integrating a heavily English based education system from day one. They at least seem to have had a little more brains than us and appealed to a little more sense, at least in ths department.

Yes that would be a good idea, i'd love to read an analysis of such issues in the UK from the perspective of a Sri Lankan..

Brian Barker - thanks for your comment. Well what you speak of, a global language would be a big step in our development, along with the possible abolishment of a nation based structure of governance.

Fallen - you’re right about the demand and supply of english in rural areas, and as for ignorance being bliss well that should be stopped. a concerted effort is needed cos ignorance creates trouble for all of us, and not just for the party who's ignorant.

Sach said...

Whackster, yes I do think that the Tamils are in fact treated better now.
I mean let's face it, take a look around you. How many Tamils are there in southern areas enjoying all the benefits that Sinhalese do? They go to the same schools that Sinhalese do. Same universities. Get hired by the same companies. And life a totally normal life. Same goes for Muslims. Other than that, yes people still do look at a Tamil suspiciously - specially if he is an unknow. But to be frank that IS to be expected isn't it? There is a goddamn war going on, and though I never mean to say that LTTE and Tamils are the same, MOST of the LTTEers are Tamils. So... you get what I mean right? But other than that, don't we Sinhalese and you Muslims treat well the Tamils you know? So... I think it's more of a case of 'watching your back' when you look suspiciously at a Tamil, rather than pure racism. OK, they get checked at almost every check point. But don't we all? While I was back in SL last December, specially when I was in Colombo, I used to travel in Tuk-Tuks a lot. And, I got stopped at least two three times everyday. Besides, I think that still the Tamils are treatd better here in Colombo than how Muslims are treated in so called 'freedom-land' US and Britain. I have a couple of Muslim friends who study in US and UK universities. They say that when they return home, at airports, they get 'harrassed', literally, for just being a Muslim. They are taken out of the usual passenger queues, taken into seperate rooms and every baggage was checked. Of course the officials are polite, but let's face it, all that is because they happened to be Muslim, isn't it?

And forgive me for thinking that you meant Muslims mostly. My bad.

"And rural Muslims get ostracized a lot if we have to get into it."
What exactly do you mean? I don't get it.
If you mean that they are not given equal opportunities, I'd say it's got more to do with them being 'rural' which reads as 'poor', rather than them being Muslims. Don't ALL rural people have more or less a fucked up life? Life is hard there mate. For everyone.

What I meant is, we all are racists to a certain extent. OK, let's face it. Say you're a bit hit in a company and you are hiring somebody. You have two applicants with exceptional CVs, experience. Just what you're looking for. They both have exactly equal qualifications. One is Sinhalese and one is Muslim. Who would you hire? I can't speak for you, cos I don't know what you'd do, but if I be totally honest I think I'd hire the Sinhalese guy. It's the same in USA from what I've heard and read. Still, most of the companies tend to hire the white guy if they are left to chose between two equally qualified applicants, one black and one white. That's what I mean by saying we are all born racists. Well at least most of us. But what is important is, most of us are able to defeat that racist inside us and integrate and live in harmony with other races.

Harmony? Well, I think there was harmony in general. OK, exactly how many racial battles were there in the last few years? Apart from the war, I don't think there were many. And again, remember even in the occasions where there were such instances, it wasn't all Sinhales' fault. I admit '83 was a darn shame on all Sinhalese, but again if you look back only a handful did the disgraceful acts while many Sinhalese in fact protected their loved Tamil neighbors/friends/relatives, whatever. So I'd say we did live in harmony most of the times bar one or two instances, but tell me about a single nations where there is more than one race, which didn't have a single conflict. That's the way thinsg are bro...

It's been a good discussion, and enjoyed a lot. But jeez, I wasted your whole comments page.. LOL.
Maybe I need to come up with my own post soon...

Sach said...

Machan, you might want to check this out. Long and boring I know, but still...

http://sachtheone.blogspot.com/2009/04/im-racist-are-you-not.html

TheWhacksteR said...

Well ur optimism is infectious almost but i think no we are NOT all racists. A racist is a person who discriminates based on race, and your job application scenario i guess proves you ARE a racist. But how can this be a good thing?

A person applying for the job should be judged based on merits of character and if they were identical then perhaps some search for compatibility may tip the balance in the favor of either but it ideally does not have to be the race.

Muslims in rural Sri Lanka are ostracized especially when it comes to practicing their religion. Mosques have a hard time getting built and some religions practices are faced with intolerance.

I went to a Sinhalese Bhuddist school till i was 8 myself and i know how strange a person from a different background can seem to people immersed in a single culture. I was looked at differently.

Your argument that everyone’s a racist so screw solutions let’s just ride with it probably comes from a majoritarian standpoint I’m guessing. The truth is a problem exists and needs to be looked at. I'll check your post out soon:) thanks for the comment.

Sach said...

Maybe my optimism is infectious, but isn't that a good infection? LOL...

No I didn't say it is a good thing, but that is what is happenning. About the job scenario, I said they a exactly the same bar the race but you didn't give me a definite answer. The thing is, in such situations people do tend to pick 'our' kind over 'their' kind.

About Muslims practising their relgion thing, to a certain extent, maybe. But I don't think the GoSL is doing that, but people who have influence. And don't you think the same goes other way? Maybe Muslims don't oppose constructing another temple, becaue a) there are already thousands and b) they don't have enough mass power but they also do discriminate in other ways. See... Muslims do hold a lot of economical power in this island, and they too do have influence.

And no I don't say screw the solution. I'm saying that the problem is not as big as you imply. My point is, the constitution allows equal opportunities to all, so actually there's not much to complain about. On the other hand, in personal level there is discrimination but it goes both ways. And I'm saying it is hard to eliminate, almost impossible. We should try to minimize it, which I always try my best to do with everything I do in my life.

Actually I have answered most of your arguments in my post so no point in re-stating them herer.

Cheers!

TheWhacksteR said...

"the constitution allows equal opportunities to all" so let us say that it's true. But does the government make sure the constitution is ENFORCED? like do they stand by idly watching people burning alive? ok sao lets say that has changed, but how and why would it change? wht is the evidence that peoples attitudes have changed?

people need to change and the government needs to help em along in a big way, establish think tanks, research and implement positive policy to move into modern times my friend. Not stick around like sulky kids unhappy with the bedfellows brought upon us through colonial and (SL)royalist times..

Sach said...

Yes, as I said, '83 was a shame and should never have happened.

But we have moved on, is my point. There was a problem with Sinhalese and Tamils in this island, and that too was mostly due to the fact that it was 'created' by the Brits.

But, I don't think there is such a problem or friction between Sinhalese and Muslims in this country, as you suggest. And the government IS helping people, and is not staying idly as it did in '83...

But I see there is no point saying our different viewpoints here over and over again. Lets agree to disagree...

myprerogative said...

Racism will always exsist. we all are in some way, The bughers are the Karapottas and the shoemakers, the muslims are the Thambiyas and the Konakapalas, the tamils are the terroists. Shema on me, but im scared shitless getting on a bus filled with Tamils and since my route has lots of them we get checked by Secuirity check points at least 90% of the time and secretly im swearing man,

But the important thing is, we should never let things get out of control and we should constsntly try to better the feeling amongst people from different races in Sri Lanka.

In this regard, we've come a long way. But it certainly is not All The Way. There's more to be done, but the progress needs to be valued.

On equal oppotunities to Tamil people, i strongly beleive this government is trying its best despite all the pro sinhaleese talk, the fact is i know just how much incentives the Gov. Of Sri Lanka is giving investors to go into the east, and the likes of Brandix have taken advantage of this.

If the gov. was Pro sinhaleese as you tend to imply in your post, they could have provided these incentives to be channeled into Hambanthota.

The pro Sinhalese talk is all about having the Majority support the War. Mr President is smart, i do not think he wants another ethnic conflict and you will see how he tones down a bit on the pro Sinhalese statements/propaganda after the war has ended.

I beleive that reclaimed land in the north/east will be a center for development in this country for years to come, and this will benefit the Tamil majority in these areas and thus make their lives a bit better!

But i hope that Tamils themselves will own these businesses and not other races predominantly coz we all know what that will give rise to eh?

TheWhacksteR said...

Sachintha - we have moved on? yeah well lets remember that we are also famous for forgetting harsh lessons. but hey im sry if im just being a cynic. You are not giving me anything other than rhetoric. So yeah lets agree to disagree

And created by the Brits? If you mean the repercussions of colonial times then too bad we have to learn to live with it, we can’t blame them for our problems and if they created it we should try and fix it

MP - hmm interesting. Maybe you are right and the President is focused on a united SL in the long term, and no matter what is said i do believe he is an idealist and believes in what he does, but is he just one man?

And yeah we all know what that may give rise to, that is why i think that some concrete tangible action should be taken. people harping about how we are all one race and how we should all love each other is all very well, if they just turn around and call people malicious names behind their backs

myprerogative said...

absolutely! he beleives in what he does, he's a strong Sinhaleese leader... but that does not mean he beleives in a 100% sinhaleese nation. If that were the case, this country would be a total hell hole even now....

i beleive he played a strong role is putting back the Anti Conversion Bill that threatened to impede upon the rights of the Christians, and so.... well, there might be other extreme elements which he is a part of, but i don't think he'll let that control him.

On the contrary, i think he's just plain smart and is making use of them!

Mr President it seems is just too smart! and you can appreciate a man like that running the country as opposed to someone so predictable to everone.....

Perceptually Fallen said...

We all discriminate. Racists are just a faction. A 'special interest group' of sorts. I agree partly with what Sachintha's said about us all being racists. And I also agree with you saying we're not all racists. (: all humans discriminate to some level to something. It is inevitable. Yeah sure we should try not to do it in the 'bad' ways but who really cares? It's all compare and contrast. It's an important function of our perception. We're all some type of sexist/racist/chauvinist/feminist or whatever-ist. All of which DISCRIMINATE. You're no better than anyone else, it's just a matter of how you look at things. It's all in perception.

Sach said...

Whackstar>
I think I need to apologize if I caused you any inconvienience in any way. I did not intend it.

So yes, let's agree to disagree and move on...

TheWhacksteR said...

fallen - sure we all discriminate mate it happens every day but like serendib_isle said on Sachinthas post i guess it depends on what we identify with.. i was thinking about the problem from a more political/ economical public policy level rather than the personal, because most political action does not really make sense on the personal level anyway

Sachintha - what nonsense man! no need of an apology, its nice to get a bit blunt now and then asa matter of fact i'd encourage you to be as blunt as possible with me.. Your comments are much appreciated, gave me a lot to think about honestly...

Anonymous said...

As a Tamil who lived in Sri Lanka, let me tell you this.

1. Majority of my people do not want to learn Sinhalease due to the fact that we feel it is inferior and submissive to learn it.

2. We are capable of learning languages in a very short time. When my people go to Germany , Holland or to France on refugee status we learn their language very quickly as we need to blend in and make a living.

3. Governments are racisit. It is natural and a part of carrying out their duties with ease. ALL signs in France are in French. So is the case in Germany. I even had to pay for translators in both countries initially.

4. My people too are racist. They just do not want to learn sinhalsease. That is all.

5. Look at the Muslims in Sri Lanka. They have no complex. They learn sinhalease very quickly as they know the majority are sinhala and cause they want to do business with them . This is why the muslims are propering in Sri Lanka and my people are been idiots and loosing their market share. Very short sighted.